Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Cask beers at Black Star Co-Op



Mad Beetz, brewed by Black Star Co-Op is a beet and pepper infused ale. Comes out of the tap a bright reddish/purple color with very little foam. Pepper and some sweetness(I assume from the beets) in the nose. The Jabanero and Ancho peppers come through strong in the taste, almost overwhelmingly so. So hot it singes my tongue and throat on the way down. Truly a sensational beer. Reminds me of Mexican chile candies. I love pepper beers and this is definitely one of the best I've had.




The Jester King/Mikkeller collaboration known as 'Geek Rodeo' is made with chipotle peppers, coffee, oats, and brown sugar. The nose is strong with notes of chocolate, dark fruits, and pepper spice. The taste opens up more way for dark fruits and burnt coffee grounds. Some spice on the back end provides a lingering burn. Another delicious beer from Austin's own farmhouse brewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment